Andromeda - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Mass Effect Andromeda' started by ensc, Mar 21, 2017.

1. ensc

ensc Member

I am very impressed and very happy. I was cautiously optimistic, but so far it has exceeded all of my expectations. I was very happy to be able to play as Sarah Ryder. I love her spunkieness and sense of humor. And she is just so darn cute. The movement and combat is much better than I expected. The jump pack is much better than I expected. The storyline is very compelling, but I love that you are free to follow the storyline as well as go exploring on your own. I've barely scratched the surface, but with how impressed I already am, I will be extremely surprised if this game does not win Game Of The Year.

2. woodrow

woodrow New Member

Two things bother me: First of all, I cant help but wonder why they wanted to go to a new galaxy. The milky way has over 100 billion stars. Also, when they got to the new planet and there were problems, why wouldnt they send a probe or two down before a shuttlecraft with actual people in it? As far as gameplay, Im not digging how I have to hold down the Y button for half a second. Hopefully I'll get used to it though. Other than that, it looks pretty awesome.

3. Derrame

Derrame Member

#3 Derrame, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    this same year comes Shadow of War, a game of the year contender.... and MEA has bad technical problems, like animations, texture popping, characters stuck

question: how are the side quests?

simple boring fetch quests, to gather thousands of shards or maerials or is it good, interesting, deep content?

4. woodrow

woodrow New Member

I did notice some animation and texture pops, like you said. I'm not very far, but I havent any grindy sidequests happen yet. THere are a few mission goals that say 'optional', but its not the typical grindy stuff.... So far anyway.

5. woodrow

woodrow New Member

So far, not any super boring, grindy sidequests. The gameplay has gotten interesting. There are lots of visual bugs, however, but not gamestopping. Its similar to ME3, maybe not quite as good, but close.

6. WhoIsDo

WhoIsDo Administrator
    Staff Member

A few hours in & the game is pretty fun. Wouldn't call it my favorite entry in the series by far, but I'm still having fun with it.

7. Derrame

Derrame Member

i played few hours, mostly MP

and apologize to the devs for i was too hard on the critics, facil animations suck, ar are not syncronized to words, but it's not always and you get used to it,
    the omega dlc had some technical issues too and was developed by a B team,like Andromeda, so it's ok

it's the only new ME game we have,
    Ilove this series, i really like what i seen so far in MEA, sin SP and MP, few bugs in MP too, but it's the same as ME3MP, nothing gamebreaking so far

i like the story and the characters, i feel the devs wanted to give veteran fans what they wanted/expected, love of the series but make a game friendly for newcomers, it's a new begin, but knowing the trilogy,

i Love the main menu, reminds me of ME1 but it's new, diferent, represents an unknown universe a new galaxy, planets, different colors of unknown unicerse in background yet simple, graceful, silent, calm, just like the space is

strike team,s are a good conection of sp and mp, it gives some more context to mp, which already has great context

the graphics, lights, particle effects are great,

it seems the boring fetch quests and chores of DA:I are in this game too, that's disappointing

i like the character models i've seen, the awkward facial animations seen in the videos before release are there, and i find it funny,

i love the new lines of the characters in mp, like when a team mates falls, the other characters say "i'm coming", or one second"! or something like that,
    the interaction in taht way, talking, is better, i like it

8. Mstum55

Mstum55 New Member

Has anyone else experienced heavy bugging during dialogue such as: sound cutting out, characters glitching into structures, scenes freezing with the exception of background CPU. I've literally not even been able to follow what is going on because I've only heard a handful of complete sentences. Been looking online for any discussions about it but all I've seen is rare mention of "slight bugs" and a bunch of people saying "you get used to it". I also can't seem to find any mention of when the next patch is supposed to release, which is bizarre because it desperately needs one.

Any further news or information would be helpful.

9. woodrow

woodrow New Member

Mines not that bad. When I first start up, I get some slight freezes and FPS issues for about 20 seconds. All character faces are visually glitchy for me, but nothing game breaking.

10. SirNerdsAlot5

SirNerdsAlot5 New Member

Home Page:
    Their reason is probably, just because they wanted to. I mean why does anyone explore a foreign land? Some are for resources, yes. However, I doubt that's the case for their 600 year journey.

If they'd sent a probe they would have to do one of two things: A) Wait 600+ years for the probe to get the data, or B) Keep someone awake to get the data during the journey. However, when they left there were no issues. Keep in mind it took 600 years at near light speed to get to Andromeda. And sending actual people is just what explorers do; they want the hands on experience.

Yes holding "Y" in some situations can get annoying, but it doesn't degrade the rest of the game. It actually is just a safeguard so you have time to realize if you're making a mistake or not.

11. woodrow

woodrow New Member

Yes, but people generally explore new lands when they have explored everything around them. This is like if the vikings went to mars, before they found the American continents. Like I said. The milky way has over ONE HUNDRED BILLION stars. Thats an unfathomable number of stars to explore before ever planning to go to another galaxy. The characters in the game act like the milky way galaxy is some small town that they've seen everything in. In the ME universe, Humanity had just barely begun to branch out into space, and all the species are really only going places where the Mass Relays had been placed by previous civilizations (Protheans). In all likeliness, the galaxy has only been explored by .000001% by all species combined. Theres no point in venturing to a new galaxy. Its unrealistic writing is what it is.

As for the probe, I was referring to the first mission, when they drop straight down to Habitat 7 after they KNEW there was something wrong. If they sent a probe, they'd go "Oh, there's gnarly lightning everywhere, maybe we should hold off till we're better prepared." Unless there was a Mass Relay

Also, the Andromeda Galaxy is not 600 light years away. it is 2.5 MILLION light years away. (you did take science class in school right??) That means whatever data they had on these planets was 2.5 million years old as well. a LOT can change in 2.5 million years. It be suicidal to go there not knowing how much things would be different.

I love playing this game, but the writing plot holes suck, the character graphics are horrible, and they have no personality to boot. Its easily the worst game of the series, (which is still better than most other games.) Its painfully obvious that this was game was rushed at the end before MANY planned finishing touches could be made. That could be for any number of reasons, that I wont blame anyone for. Have you noticed that almost every Asari has the exact same face, as if they were placeholders until they had created more? Not to mention that the face they use isnt that great. Asari are supposed to be sexy beings. The new Asari are totally plain even withouth the graphics glitches.

I will say though, that the grindiness has greatly improved, and the audio is excellent, and the gameplay itself is great. Is just too bad they didnt finish it off.

12. SirNerdsAlot5

SirNerdsAlot5 New Member

Home Page:

13. SACHI

SACHI New Member

.....................................OMG who paid you off, if I wasnt a Mass effect fan id kill myself before paying fo this game at full price know im going to get kicked ou of this forum after this post but WTF happened its 2017 ? yes the graphics and looks of the characters we get are awful , hop the story is better,....DON'T buy any add on credits for the online multi player i did and i opened a bunch of premium packs to only get THE SAME CHARACTER UNLOCKED 3 FREAKING TIMES ,SAME WEAPONS TOO, SO DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE POINTS , WHAT RIP OFF YOU OWE US BIG TIME FOR THIS, feeling screwed the first mass effects graphics is better than this, shame on you for ripping us off

ensc likes this.
  14. ensc

ensc Member

I don't blame you for saying this, because I just came here to put an update and I saw your post.

I was going to put an update to apologize for my original post, because I definitely jumped the gun there. I was excited to have the game and really liked it the first couple times I played it, but since then it has been pretty rough I must admit.

However, in stepping back and analyzing it, it might not be the game so much as it is me and how I have changed over time. At the time when I played Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3, I had mainly only played similar type games. However, since Titanfall hit 3 years ago, and it is such a fast paced game, I honestly don't have the patience for games like this anymore, because it is pretty much like this:

-OK, let me walk slowly to try to find someone.
    -Now, I will stand in one spot having a several minute dialog with them (mainly watching/listenting to animations)
    -rinse and repeat (with occassional, not even all that great action mixed in)

So, if you played for 2 hours, you might be lucky if you got 20 minutes of actual, not so great action, but really spend 1 hour and 40 minutes of it watching/listening to animations. If that's what it is going to be like, I'd much rather just watch a good movie.

So, anyways, I sincerely apologize for my premature high praise for the game.

15. Derrame

Derrame Member

the side quests are so boring, they made the same mistak as with Dragon Age Inquisition, repetitive meaningless fetch quests,
    only the main story missions and loyalty missions have some intersting or fun content

16. SirNerdsAlot5

SirNerdsAlot5 New Member

Home Page:
    Sounds like you had a bad individual experience. No one paid me off for anything. I happen to not be a douche :D

I have looked at this game objectively and while I have some questions about it that need to be answered, I am still enjoying the game as a whole. Regardless of how anyone feels, Andromeda is still an improvement over Mass Effect 3.

Even if you pay real money for packs in the Multiplayer, you are not guaranteed the absolute best rewards. You essentially are paying for convenience, so you shouldn't have been surprised that you didn't get what you wanted.

17. Granek

Granek New Member

MP seems like an improved version of ME3, love the vertical aspect now, I actually forget I can move vertically sometimes. I like that MP seems harder-even on bronze, now it could be that I'm playing with new players when we don't extract. The times we do I know I'm playing with veterans because no one hits the LZ until 20-25 seconds left. You can tell who's new when they camp the LZ and subsequently get squashed.

SP is fantastic, really like the story, but I agree, why leave the Milky Way if we haven't even explored her yet? That is like someone discovering Hispaniola then going to Antarctica, forgoing the America's simply because the can 'explore'

18. SirNerdsAlot5

SirNerdsAlot5 New Member

Home Page:
    Agreed on the multiplayer. It's tough from the get go, but not in a frustrating way.

As for the single player, the reason for going is irrelevant and there are actually some things that you'll find that help make sense of it. Some Asari wanted to do it before and it was shot down, so when the idea came up again they supported it. That tells us that it wasn't something that was just random. It was talked about before and someone final said, "we're going."

Either way, to me why they went is less important than what happens and how they deal with it when they get there.